Some useful links for playing abandonware games. You may suggest new links through the contact page. For specific links and instructions on emulation, go to our how-to play page.
General retrogaming links
Sites useful to any kind of retrogamer, for any platform.
- ReplacementDocs: The web archive of game manuals. A good place to look for a missing manual, especially for security checks in old games.
- VGMaps: The Video Game Atlas. Tons of maps for many video games, lots of platforms.
- VOGONS: very old games on new systems, a forum dedicated to emulation or simply making old Windows games run on recent version of the OS.
- The Patches Scrolls: thousands of old patches for DOS and Windows games.
- Old Computers.com: museum of all old computers, consoles and even pongs.
- The Visual Novel Database: comprehensive database about visual novels.
- ROMhacking.net: useful for translation patches of Japanese games, also has various hacks.
- RecalBox: make your own retro gaming console and play your old games on your TV or any screen.
- Emugen: the Emulation General wiki will help you emulate almost every computer or console.
- The Collection Chamber: rare games packaged and reviewed by Biffman 101.
- Zomb's Lair: tailor-made release for old gems and high quality patches for old games.
- Retro Game Champion: this very passionate archivist has created one of the best compilations for most consoles, curating TOSEC, No-Intro and other dump archives ;
- Essential DOS commands: all DOS commands you will need if you use legacy DOSBox.
- DOSGaming Subreddit: a good place to ask for help finding a game or running a specific game. Don't miss this post with tons of links to drivers and utilities for DOS games.
- Sierra Help Pages: all resources needed to keep the classic Sierra games alive.
- VilerR's blog: advanced technical posts on old games and computers.
- WinWorld: library of operating systems and various applications and games. Has VMWare images from Windows 1.0 to Windows 2000.
- VOGONS Vintage Driver Library: a collection of old drivers, contributed by the members of the VOGONS Forums.
- WSGF: the widescreen gaming forum provides patches for playing old Windows (and some DOS) games in a good condition on wide screens. May be flagged as malware by your browser, use at your own risk.
- Widescreen Fixes Pack: alternative to WSGF for few games.
- Mod DB: download patches and fixes for many old Windows games.
- nGlide: this glide wrapper emulates a 3Dfx card, perfect for those late 90s games.
- DxWnd: makes fullscreen games run in a window, allowing many old games to run fine in recent Windows versions.
- Emupedia: dive back in Win 95/98/ME directly from your browser and launch several classic Win games.
- LegacyUpdate.net and WindowsUpdateRestored.com: make the update service work again on older Windows versions, from Win95 to Vista, awesome projects!
- Macintosh Garden: the best Mac games archive website, with various guides and a forum.
- Macintosh Repository: old software from the classic Mac era, very active, highly recommended!
- The Vintage Mac Museum: tons of useful links for running old Mac software.
- Stardot Forum: the online community for all Acorn computers (Atom, BBC Micro, Electron and Archimedes).
- CPCWiki: the encyclopedia of all things CPC related.
- CPC Game Reviews: game reviews and downloads of CPC games.
- CPC Power: preservation site of everything related to CPC/CPC+/GX4000. French website available in English, Spanish and Germany.
- Virtual Apple II: almost all Apple ][ and Apple IIGS ready to play in your browser.
- What is the Apple IIGS: site dedicated to the preservation of the Apple IIGS computing platform.
- ColecoVision Zone: general information on the ColecoVision console, the games, various pictures and old ads.
- ColecoVision.dk: a Danish website (in English) about the ColecoVision, supports the homebrew scene.
- Commodore.ca: history pages, manuals and ROM downloads.
- C64.com: a C64 preservation project, accept hardware and software donations.
- Lemon64: tons of games, scans, reviews, and an active forum.
- C64 Wiki: online encyclopedia on the Commodore 64.
- The DRAGON Archive: encyclopedia of everything related to the Dragon computers.
- DragonData: history of the Dragon computers.
- MSX Resource Center: everything you might want to know about the MSX.
- MSXAbandonware: download MSX games, or supposedly play online.